Hot Summer Nights Concert Series is back next Tuesday, August 20th, at the Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater (GFA), with The California Honeydrops. Their music incorporates a wide range of genres including soul, funk, and jazz.
5 fun facts about The California Honeydrops:
- Before their big break the band was performing on the streets on San Francisco. Percussionist Ben Malament explains, "We'd play in the BART stations. We'd bring a little tub base, the soul tub, and sing our songs and make our little burrito and milkshake scratch."
- The band blends R&B, soul, funk and blues. The band's sound is influenced from Delta blues and New Orleans-style jazz.
- For the past few years, the California Honeydrops have been touring with Bonnie Raitt (who sings on the title track on their 2018 album, "Call It Home: Vol. 1 &2")
- Their motto is "Stay fresh, have fun." Malament explains, "Honestly for the band, [our motto] is what's important and what's kept us alive for 10 years."
- The band's main goal is to produce "feel good" music. When asked about their upcoming performance at Hot Summer Nights, Malament told fans, "don't be shy and bring everyone you know so we can have a good time."
Gates open at 5:30, with the concert starting at 6:30 p.m.
For more information on the band and event click here